01 February 2010

I need a bigger plate.

I am the type of person that needs to be busy at work. I do have those days when I would like to just make a mindless task last all day, but I like to remain active at work. Sometimes I think I've got too much initiative at times and a sometimes dangerous work ethic. There are times when I feel that if it was allowed, I would probably install the programs I use at work on my home computer just so I could attempt to get ahead. What?!

On top of my work, I like to get involved. Fundraisers, community service, drives, etc. Dan and I love feeling like we made a difference for the better. We appreciate the military for making it sort of a mandatory requirement that all members must be involved in some volunteer activity no matter how small or large. I just wish more people would get into volunteering because they want to, not because they need to fill a block for their next performance report. I remember doing some volunteer stuff in high school just because it was also a way to hang out with friends. Volunteering can occupy a lot of off time that could be spent at home with family or doing school work.

It's only the first day of the second month of 2010 and I feel as if I've got too much on my plate. Am I in over my head? I'm still learning about my role in my shop and on top of work, I'm trying my best to make sure I look out for my people and take care of them. I also need to take care of me and my career at the same time. Shit, that reminds me that I need to drop off my reenlistment paperwork this week.

This semester, I'm taking two online courses. After these classes are complete, I'll have 2 classes left to obtain my Associate's with the CCAF. Next month, I have my promotion test to study for. Wtf? I know so many SNCOs have advised that I not take any school around testing time, but damn... testing cycle for the next rank is Feb-Mar and a semester at the community college in the area is from Jan through May. I may have shot myself in the foot this time around (which will be my second time testing for the next rank), but I really want to knock out my Associate's and my goal is to finish this year.

I need to find the balance between the assignments I need to knock out and work so that I can just focus on studying for my promotion test. That on top of preparing for a big inspection at work, I feel like I bit off more than I can chew for this quarter. Oh, the inspection is during the week I test next month, did I mention that? Oh crap, and I also need to start thinking about what to do for our daughters 6th birthday. Damnit. The first two weeks of March are so hectic and we just started February.

Anyone have any aspirin? The headache I started out with just grew larger after I read over this post.

No comments: