21 May 2010

Online classes during pregnancy...

I am grateful that the military helps and encourages its members to continue their education. We get 100% tuition assistance and on top of that we get the Montgomery GI Bill or the Post 9/11 GI Bill that pays for more education opportunities if we go over our TA cap. The military also gives us the chance to earn college credits through taking DANTES or CLEP tests; test fees paid, which is a method used a lot to obtain credits. Take a test and get credit vs. taking a class for a whole semester?!

Although I'm in my late twenties (yikes I wish I was still 23!), I still don't quite know what I want to do when I grow up or major in. Right now I'm trying to finish my general credits and obtain my 2 yr degree for the CCAF (Community College of the Air Force). I'm almost there, and I was hoping to finish by the end of this year. With the pregnancy, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I signed up for two online classes to take during this spring semester. I try and take advantage of online classes when I can and love that I can choose to either take my time doing assignments or finish them ahead of schedule. I also like that I don't have to drive anywhere for class and that I can focus on my studies and not be bothered by other students being that most of them are younger than I am. No offense, but being older and taking classes I find that I really don't have a lot in common with the college crowd.

Well, even though I'm taking classes to help satisfy requirements for my CCAF, I won't be getting credit for these two classes. Yes, I am failing. I am for the first time in my life, receiving grades way below passing... and I am fine with it. I've never really been the overachiever when it came to academics. I've tried to maintain As since I started taking classes again in the military.

The first two months of the pregnancy made it really difficult to focus and even be motivated to do assignments. I missed two weeks worth of assignments in both online classes and even if I did all the extra credit offered, aced the online quizzes and finish the rest of the assignments I still wouldn't be able to get a C. A grade of C or higher is what is needed for college credit to count towards the CCAF. I found out what my grade will probably be for both classes earlier this week and was fine with it. I figured that I would have to pay back the tuition assistance the AF provided being that I wouldn't be passing the class (generally what happens in the military when you fail a class). I was ready to make my way to the education center with my debit card and pay it back.

You could imagine how relieved I felt when I found out that I don't have to. For undergrad, a grade of C or higher is needed for credit to count, but you only have to reimburse the TA if you get an F in the class. If pursuing a Masters or above you have to reimburse anything below a C. I'll take not getting credit and not having to pay back. It is sad that I'm happy about Ds, but hey. I allowed myself to slack off with the morning sickness and this is the consequence.


I definitely do not plan on taking anymore classes for the remainder of the pregnancy. I may attempt to take a few CLEP tests, but that's it. I'm taking another break. I do not want to be in this situation again EVER.

1 comment:

Flo said...

I am right there with you sister, my concern would have been way more with the tuition than the grade itself. You can always re-do the classes, but you can't get the money back. I am so proud of you for the progress you've already made (while working and parenting!), and it takes a lot of guts to share your struggles. When you're ready to start back up again, I will be right here rooting you along.