10 May 2010

WoW!

Which is actually an acronym for Warrior of the Week. Last month, Dan was presented with the award. It's a weekly award that is presented by the Wing Commander and is printed in the base paper that Friday (more about that later in the post).

Dan had told me about filling out the WoW worksheet a few weeks earlier and that he kept trying to turn it in with "making babies" in the hobbies section. Yea, what a dork. Anyway, the Tuesday in the week before he was going to be presented with the award, he told me how the SMSgt in his shop told him that he had to clear his schedule and make himself available to give "a tour" to the Wing Commander. I thought nothing of it and completely forgot about it later on. Then the Thursday before the presentation (the 8th to be exact), he tells me that the Senior gave him an exact time frame that the Wing King* would be coming over the following Wednesday (the 14th).
"SMSgt T told me that Col V will be coming over at like 1300 next Tuesday."
"That's good babe, right after lunch."
"Just sucks because I cleared my whole day and moved around so many appointments that I could've kept. Oh, are you busy that day?"
"I don't think so, just regular work schedule. Why?"
"SMSgt T said I should invite my wife for when he comes over."

I looked at him funny after he said that.

"Why in the heck should I be there if you're just- AWW, he RUINED it! I know what he's coming for now! I'm gonna talk to your senior tomorrow!"
"Why? What?"
"No, I shouldn't tell you."
"Just tell me or else I'll find out from Shavonne."
"Fine, you got Warrior of the Week, duh? Makes no sense for me to be there if you're giving a tour, you dork!"

Wednesday came along and I was there along with a few of our friends from my squadron and any maintainers that weren't on the line to watch the presentation. Apparently he put on his form that he wants a big family, which when the Wing King asked him about how I felt about it, told him that 'she has no choice'. The Wing King commended him on his achievements, wished him luck on his goal of someday being in the PDG* and presented the award.

104/365

After the Wing King presented the award and his coin, the command chief talked about Dan's drive and dedication and also coined him. I don't quite remember how it came up (I think Col V was talking about how Dan rucked* home one day), but a few minutes after that he asked Dan to lead everyone in doing a set of 30 push ups.

DSC_2404

It was funny seeing some people struggle. :) Well, like all Warrior of the Week winners, they are presented in the base paper that Friday after being presented. Tell me why it didn't happen that Friday?! I couldn't believe it! That day when I discovered my husband was not in the paper like he was supposed to, I called public affairs. One of the girls there told me that they wait for the WoW packages to be sent to them and since they didn't receive any, they didn't put one. The following week, I called again and the same girl told me that they hadn't received anything and that the layout for that Friday's paper was already finished! She asked if there was a particular person I was looking for and I gave her Dan's name. I couldn't believe that they said that they waited for the WoW packages to be sent instead of asking for them.

The following week I emailed the Tailwind staff this time instead of calling to make sure that he would make the paper on the 30th. He was. :p

dan wow
click to enlarge


I am proud of him for what he's been doing with his career and at his new job!



*Wing King- a nickname used for Wing Commander
PDG- Professional Development Guide
rucked- ruck march

2 comments:

Ande said...

It's amazing that anyone from that sqd. is getting recognized. Congrats Dan!!!! That is awesome!!! I remember those in the tailwind. I miss reading that ever week. Sad I know. :) The one here is really bad. Hope you guys are doing well.

Flo said...

That is so freaking awesome!! Congrats Dan! I'm sorry I didn't comment sooner, my stupid Google Reader hasn't shown your updates yet! I re-added you and that will hopefully have fixed the problem. Congratulations again!